Monday, January 21, 2008

I would like to add more context to why I want to create this type of blog. I have for a long time felt that people have a basic need for community and for the constant examination of who we are and our reason for being. I call this the human mystery. For centuries organized religion filled that need, but it did so along with being a social controlling force. Hence the need for sin, damnation, heaven and purgatory. In modern times organized religions have not adapted and evolved and in many way they have become destructive forces, or at least a force that holds back human moral and ethical progress.

My intention is not to ponder the role of religion in modern society, others can do that far better than I. But rather with the failure of religion, there is a need that goes unfulfilled for many people. Living in the South, I have envied the church goers. I envied their community and sense of family. However, I was turned off by their zealotry and dogmatism. Thomas Jefferson created his "Jefferson Bible" for much the same reason.

I want this blog to examine many of the same questions and issues that you will find in the Bible or other religious writings. I want it to fulfill a need which the church and philosophers have not in today's culture. I want it to be done in a community fashion that gives insight in every day language and can be applied to today's world.

1 comment:

vjack said...

You had a good idea here. What happened? It looks like you abandoned it.